"Make sure that what you are doing and striving for is going to be worth any sacrifices you will have to make along the way. If it's a relationship, job, anything in life."

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesdays Tip: Trying not to laugh…


             Now they say laughter is the best medicine, and trust me coming from this single dad it is.  I don’t know if I’ll ever grow up... Yes I have a lot of responsibility and a home but I can’t help but feel something’s are just too funny… 

            What I am referring to is when you have to be strict and your child say or does something that just makes you bite your lip so you don’t laugh.  The past few weeks when I have told Quinn “No” or that it was time for bed she would sigh very loud or grunt like she was annoyed.  I can’t help but turn so she doesn’t see me laughing.  No typically with a small child you would think they would cry or put up a fight but to see this little person just almost complain in an adult fashion just makes me laugh.  Like life is just so hard isn’t it little one…  Playing all day, taking naps, not working… UGH what a drag… lol  If we are out she may also throw in a “awe okay daddy”  if we can’t do something she wants.  I keep my composure and just keep pressing on.  I know if I laugh its over and she will know I think its funny.  I usually grunt back and tell her she’s fine…  Keeping the line drawn is literally in the sand.   Our children are like the water that comes in and washed it back.  We have to wake up everyday and instill rules and guidelines to keep them protected and safe. 

            I tell everyone the minute you become a parent, even if you don’t have your child you are still just a little different.  You are always feeling responsible and having that guys/girls night out is never like it once was.  We have to instill that we are the bad guys.  Yes I know I said it.  Parents are the "bad guys".  We are the ones that tell them when bed time is, or to eat healthy.  We break up the late night parties and take away the sugar.  I will post more on this later.  I just wanted to say when your child does things that are funny but you have to instill rules, you must not laugh.  The minute they see you laugh you are done!  That rule is over pretty much.   My daughter also says “are you tricken me daddy?”  Which I also think is just so funny…  Sometimes I say no, others I laugh and say yes.  The first time I heard that I couldn’t stop laughing she said it in this cute little voice. 

            I guess there is no real rule for this.  I mean when our kids say things we will laugh.  It is just how life goes.  I would just recommend that over time we still set the stage because as parents we still have to be the rule enforcers…I think secretly its okay to laugh, just don’t let them see you! As we grow we learn and that’s all we can do…


Always remember,
You are never alone…

Love,
Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment