"Make sure that what you are doing and striving for is going to be worth any sacrifices you will have to make along the way. If it's a relationship, job, anything in life."

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Beer Batter Fish Fry (From Scratch)


Hello all! 

     A very special post today for my cooking corner today I made one of my favorite meals.  The Beer Battered Fish Fry, a classic dish and very easy to make.  For the longest time I always thought this was a difficult meal to make but it isn't.  Now below is how you can make one from scratch however I am going to post how to make one using a box recipe.  There are pre-made mixes that just need a beer or water.  I have made both and they both came out great!  

      However if you would like to try to make one homemade here is a great recipe.  I do give credit do the site i got this off of and there are a lot you can look over.  The base for the batter is really the same across the board with some different spices you will read about from others.  However they really are pretty similar.  One of the best parts is you can use all different kinds of fish.  I will advise some not to such as Salmon.  Salmon is a wild card that really needs to be cooked on the grill or pan seared.  Below you will see several kinds of fish including, Haddock, Alaskan Cod, Flounder, and Tilapia.  I know if you go out to eat you will see mainly Haddock however try other kinds of fish for a different taste.  They all came out great and my daughter was very impressed as well!  

Below is what I used as well as a link to the video however like I said thy this or make your own changes.  I know next time I will but this first time I followed the following recipe below. 

Ingredients:
1 Cup all purpose flower
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 Egg beaten
Lemon wedge's
1 (12 fluid oz) can or bottle of beer, or water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
     Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Rinse fish, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.

     Combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper. Stir egg into dry ingredients. Gradually mix in beer until a thin batter is formed. You should be able to see the fish through the batter after it has been dipped.

   Lightly flour each side of your fish with flour.

      Dip fish fillets into the batter, then drop one at a time into hot oil. Fry fish, turning once, until both sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm.

This dish will take about 15 min to prep about 15 minutes to cook with a total time of about  30 minutes.  

For a side dish you can cook your standard fries and make this a classic fish and chips!  You can also have a potato or veggie.  The side is up to you, we oven cooked fries.

Here are the links for you as well:
I would like to thank Allrecipes and Linda for this great meal.


   


Here is your flour and batter mix before the beer was added.


All the fish I used.  They all were great pieces and all had a different taste to them which was nice.


As you can see they have a great golden shell.
Classic Fish and Chips!
Here is my end result.  The dish came out great the fish had a crispy shell with a nice hot flaky inside.  

I would encourage you to try this dish out.  If you can fry outside or a very well ventilated area please do.  Remember when frying the oil will fill the rooms and if your kitchen is smaller you will smell oil for a while.  Try cooking outside or if you have a good ventilation system like I noted before.

I hope you enjoyed this post if you have any questions or comments let me know.

Stay tuned for my next dish.

Always remember,

Cooking should be fun, so have fun doing it!

Chef
Christopher 

No comments:

Post a Comment